Wednesday, January 16, 2008

#2 Walkin away from Oedipus..

At the end of Oedipus Rex, I walked away with my stomach flipped upside down. The story seemed predictable, especially because Oedipus' life revolved around his fate, but instead of being bored from having predicted the end, the literary devices created depth and tension that drew me into the story and kept me interested. I questioned how different my life would be if I knew my fate, and how Oedipus tried to run away from his own fate but failed because fate is obviously inevitable. I think about it like a movie: when I watch a movie, I constantly think ahead and try to predict what is going to happen to the characters, but if someone were to blert out the ending to me, I'd be really mad at them for ruining the story and destroying the excitement. Fate's role in life is just like a movie in the sense that we attempt to control our future and predict who we are going to become, but if anyone were to find out his or her fate they would feel ruined, as if their power over their personal goals and expectations had become unchangable and uncontrolable. I know that I would either atempt to change my fate, which would be a waste of time, or I would try too hard to fulfil my fate, which is ridiculous because whatever that is supposed to happen would happen no matter what. Oedipus tried to run away from his fate, which ironically drew him closer to his fate, which made me wonder what would have happened if he wouldn't have tried to escape the inevitable. I know that I wouldn't be able to live my life normally without constantly paying attention to my fate, which is why Oedipus' awareness of his fate eventually ruined his life!

No comments: